All Materials & Discussions

Upcoming! Ce qui se passe en cours 3 (3/23/21): Engaging Language Learners Online

Join us for an informal conversation about French-language teaching, where we hope to connect French-language faculty across CUNY campuses!

Third meeting topic title: Engaging Language Learners Online
On: Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021, at 2:00 PM.
Facilitated by: Jeanne-Rachel Leroux, Lecturer and French Program Coordinator at the College of Staten Island.
Topic description: We will be sharing tips and discussing ways to ensure active participants in our online language classes. There is no prep necessary, just come as the wonderful French-language faculty that you are!

Looking forward to our discussion, merci à tous et à toutes !

To receive the Zoom link to join the discussion on Tuesday, March 23, 2021, please RSVP here.

Synchronous sessions

A couple of useful resources for planning synchronous sessions.

Also important to know is that integration of applications from the Zoom Market seems to be regulated at campus-level. Some applications might be  integrated into Zoom for a CUNY campus but not another. Refer to your IT division or instructional designers for more info pertinent to your campus.

(Previous): Ce qui se passe en cours 2 (11/17/20): Leading Successful Synchronous Sessions

Second meeting topic:
 Leading Successful Synchronous Sessions
On: Tuesday, Nov. 17th, 2020 at 3:00PM.
Facilitated by: Jeanne-Rachel Leroux, Lecturer and French Program Coordinator at the College of Staten Island.

To receive the Zoom link to join the discussion on Thursday, Nov 17th, 2020, please RSVP here.

(Previous) Ce qui se passe en cours 1 (10/16/20): Telecollaborative Practices in French Language Classes

First meeting topic:
Telecollaborative Practices in French Language Classes: Prof. Jeanne-Rachel Leroux will talk about opportunities and challenges teaching her FRN 213 Continuing French I course using Talkabroad.
On: Friday, Oct. 16th, 2020, at 1:00PM.

To receive the Zoom link to join the discussion on Friday, Oct 16th, 2020, please RSVP here.

Sharing Teaching and Learning Materials

We want your ideas! Feel free to share a link, idea, or teaching material here by writing a post:

1) Contact the site administrator here to join: https://francaiscuny.commons.gc.cuny.edu/contact-or-join/
2) Then, after you get an email acceptance, click the “+ New” in the black bar at the top of the screen > type your title and body > choose category “Materials & Resources” on the right side > publish.

Feel free to reply to an existing post by clicking “leave a reply”–let us know how the resources work for you!

Starting a Discussion

We want to hear from you! Feel free to start a question, comment, suggestion, or info-share thread here by writing a post:

2) Then, after you get an email acceptance, click the “+ New” in the black bar at the top of the screen > type your title and body > choose category “Discussion” on the right side > publish

Or, feel free to reply to an existing post by clicking “leave a reply.”

Synchronous sessions: lesson planning

I wanted to chime in on the subject of synchronous learning that was discussed in other threads and during our live meetings.  In particular, I am sharing some resources that provide tips on designing synchronous sessions best fit for the online environment (and provide suggestions that would work well also for a traditional f2f class).  Even when there is a desire to maintain live meetings as main modality for online course delivery, transitioning f2f sessions to Continue reading “Synchronous sessions: lesson planning”

Synchronous learner/learner interaction: challenges and strategies

I just thought we could keep the conversation going here. I heard (and read) so many interesting comments in today’s session! I went and read some of the group worksheets and it seems that tech issues were raised fairly often as a challenge to interaction in the classroom, especially learner/learner interaction. After my very limited stint of distance learning this spring, it seems to me that tech will always fail as some point or another. This is probably even more true with our student population. So it is useful to learn strategies to work around the tech issues. I understand the attraction of synchronous activities for language classes, but I wonder if assigning synchronous group or pair work (I also prefer groups as you work around Continue reading “Synchronous learner/learner interaction: challenges and strategies”